Cultural Crossroads: Our Stories, Our Food
Kansas Day is an annual highlight at Kauffman Museum, gathering hundreds of visitors each year to celebrate our state, revisit old-fashioned games and traditions, and enjoy the museum indoors and out. Celebrate our state’s birthday by attending Kansas Day events available both virtually and in-person. This year’s theme is, “Cultural Crossroads: Our Stories, Our Foods” to celebrate our vibrant community!
Kansas Day Schedule
Changes due to weather:
- Outdoor stations for KS Day canceled!
- Food trucks not available.
- Indoor museum exhibits available.
- Limited entry due to COVID-19.
- Kansas Day in a Box pick-up, cookie sales, take-home craft pick-up available inside the museum front entry.
- Masks and social distancing required!
- For the adventurous! Hike the trails in the rain! Maps available at the museum.
11:00 AM, “Mennonite – Food – Traditions,” Via Zoom
- A virtual presentation by Glen Ediger, on Mennonite ethnic foods, “Mennonite – Food – Traditions.” Ediger will give a brief history of Mennonites who immigrated to Kansas and how foods enjoyed in Kansas today are influenced by that history. He will speak about traditional foods of the Low-German Mennonites and discuss his 30 favorite foods. Watch Glen’s presentation here.
2:00 PM, “The Immigrants Who Built Newton: One Spike at a Time,” Via Zoom
- A virtual presentation by Jenny Masias, “The Immigrants Who Built Newton: One Spike at a Time.” Masias will elaborate on the history, important contributions, and crucial economic role that Mexican immigrants have made to Newton, to Kansas and beyond. Watch Jenny’s presentation here.
Celebrate From Home
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year Kauffman Museum will offer Kansas Day in a Box in addition to in-person activities so that you and your family have the option to celebrate in the safety and comfort of your own home. The box will include: games, crafts, recipes, foods, maps, activities, and other surprise items to help you enjoy Kansas history and culture.
Kansas Day in a Box!
EXTENDED Deadline to Purchase: Friday, January 22.
$20.00 – $32.00
Celebrate Kansas Day!
We hope you can join us to honor our state, on January 30, 2021. Mark your calendar and join us at the museum or at home!
27th and North Main St.
North Newton, KS 67117
Across from the main campus of
Closed Mondays and